The short path distillation is one of the most high-efficiency distillation techniques in people’s using, which can solve the problem that conventional distillation technology can’t. It is widely used in food, medicine, fine chemicals, electronic materials, plastic engineering and polymers (such as polyols, fatty acids, polyphenols, polyurethane, epoxy resins, lactic acid, monoglycerides, flavors, heavy oils and paraffin oils) and other fields.
What is Short Path Distillation?
The short path distillation is a technique that removes solvents form mixtures through evaporation, which is mainly used for liquid-liquid separation. The principle is that the pressure difference between the boiling film and condensing surface is the driving force of the steam flow, and the minimum pressure will cause the flowing of steam. Under the 1mbar, the operation requires that there is the shortest distance between the boiling surface and condensing surface. The evaporator manufactured based on the principle is called the short-path distillation. The short-path distillation (molecular distillation) is equipped with a inside condenser which is opposite to the heating surface, and make the operation pressure reduce to under 0.001mbar. Its relative low boiling temperature is very suitable for the material with heat sensitive and high boiling point.
When is Short Path Distillation Used?
It is high time to use short path distillation when the temperature is required to be controlled specially. For example, the short path distillation can be used when you want to separate heat-sensitive or highly oxidized materials.
It is high time to use short path distillation when you want to separate high boiling point materials. Because they can be separated even though the temperature haven’t reach their boiling points under high vacuum condition.
As well, the short path distillation can be used when you want to achieve separation and concentration of natural and synthetic vitamins, wool fatty acids, lanolin, palm oil, rice bran oil, fish oil and cod liver oil, natural plant leaf root extract (such as capsanthin, lycopene, pyrethrin).
What are Benefits of Short Path Distillation?
- It has a relatively low distillation temperature. Compared to the simple distillation, the materials can be separated even though there is a small temperature difference.
- A certain substance can be selectively distilled out and impurities can be removed. Two or more substances can be separated by the multistage separation.
- The distillation process is a physical process, which can well protect separated substances from being polluted and damaged.
- The less compound will be lost because a liquid only need travel a short distance in the short path distillation. It efficiently reduces material waste.
- It requires a smaller working space compared to most conventional distillation techniques, which is much easier to use. And the desired purity level can be reached as well.
As a new separation technology, the short path distillation has gained in popularity over the recent years. It is especially suitable for heat-sensitive and easily oxidized materials and materials with high boiling points. If you have any interest in short path distillation technology, please get in touch with us: firstname.lastname@example.org.