The vacuum pump refers to a kind of device that can pump out gas in a vessel to create a vacuum condition through the change of gas volume. The lubricating oil used by a vacuum pump is known as vacuum pump oil. According to the vacuum conditions of vacuum pumps, vacuum pumps can be categorized into mechanical vacuum pumps and diffusion pumps. The lubricating oil used by diffusion pumps is named as diffusion oil, which is not only a kind of lubricating oil but a type of working fluid. The diffusion oils greatly varies from the lubricating oil used by mechanical vacuum pumps.
What is Vacuum Pump Oil?
The vacuum pump oil is a kind of lubricating oil specially designed for vacuum pumps, falling into mineral oil and synthetic oil. The vacuum pump oil need a stronger anti-emulsification ability. According to the oil using regulation of the device manufacturer, the vacuum pump oil with proper using performance and viscosity grade should be selected.
The vacuum pump oil possesses the oxidization stability. It isn’t easy to deteriorate even if it is in direct contact with air, resin, chemical compositions and other materials for a long time, reducing the formation of harmful paint film and oil scale and providing a longer oil change cycle.
The vacuum pump oil is anti-rust and anti-corrosion. It can form the effective anti-corrosion film to prevent system corrosion caused by inhaled corrosive gas and moisture. It can quickly separate the water in the oil to reach the required vacuum degree.
The steam pressure is relatively low. It prevents vacuum pump oil from reflux and diffusion so that the oil returning can be avoided and there is enough ultra vacuum.
Why does a Vacuum Pump Need Oil?
Vacuum pump oil is a kind of lubricating oil specially developed for vacuum pumps, which is divided into mineral oil and synthetic oil. It is suitable for reciprocating booster pumps, mechanical booster pumps and oil-sealed mechanical vacuum pumps. It can also be used for various diffusion vacuum pumps.
Some vacuum pumps must use oil for lubricating, which not only lubricates the pump bearings and other rotating components but also provides a seal between the high and low-pressure sides of the pump. In conclusion, it’s necessary to use oil in vacuum pumps.
Precautions for Using Vacuum Pump Oil
- To guarantee the normal work of vacuum system, the pollutants such as mechanical impurities and water should be prevented from entering the pump during the process of use or storage so that it won’t influence the service life of vacuum pump oil and normal work of the system.
- Normally the residual oil contains lots of pollutants and aging products, which seriously affect the service quality and life of new oil. Therefore, the oil tank and oil pipelines should be cleaned when the oil is changed. Add new oil from the air suction port of the pump and turn the pump shaft slowly with your hand. Clean the pump chamber and discharge the residual oil. It should be cleaned for several times.
- Various kinds of vacuum pump oil has different qualities. The mixed use of them may cause the change of oil quality. So different kinds of vacuum pump oil can’t be mixed for using.
- When the pump is used for solvent, steam and corrosive gas, it should be checked frequently after use. When the emulsified and diluted oil influence the sealing performance of the pump, replace the oil
- It is easy to form condensed water in the vacuum pump. The mixing of water and oil will make oil emulsify and spoil, doing harm to the vacuum pump.
Circulating water vacuum pump