The vacuum pump is a common device to create or maintain the required vacuum level. It generally has a greatly wide application areas as a accessory equipment for other laboratory devices. It is greatly essential to maintain a vacuum pump properly, which can not only ensure its excellent working performance, but extend its service life. There are a great number of maintenance tips for a vacuum pump below.
How do You Maintain a Vacuum Pump?
- Check periodically whether the oil level is below the oil mark. If it’s below the oil mark, it should be timely refueled. Otherwise it will affect the vacuum pump system. The amount of oil should not be too much, otherwise it will cause starting difficulties, fuel injection and other problems.
- We should always pay attention to observe whether the vacuum pump is running normally, whether there is any special sound, whether the machine is overloaded, and whether the temperature of the motor vacuum pump is too high.
- The vacuum pump cooled with water should prevent the cooling water from being interrupted, and the vacuum pump temperature must not exceed 70 degrees.If the ambient temperature is lower than 5 degrees, the cooling water in the vacuum pump should be drained clean after the machine is stopped to prevent the vacuum pump body from freezing and cracking.
- Vacuum pump should always keep clean, and it can not be placed on other objects.
- Pay attention to whether the belt is tight or not, and adjust or replace if necessary.
- Vacuum pump oil should be replaced 1~3 times a year.Mechanical vacuum pumps for vacuum melting may require multiple oil changes per month. This is because the vacuum pump oil is contaminated by ash, moisture or other dirt during the use of the vacuum pump, or saponified and carbonized.This will affect the performance of the vacuum pump, so it is necessary to change the oil regularly according to the specific situation.
- Cut off the power supply and remove the vacuum pump from the vacuum system.
- Dirty oil is released and collected by gravity or pressure to avoid polluting the environment.
- Remove belt, belt pulley product key (double stage rotary vane vacuum pump includes belt).
- Remove the low vacuum end, remove the rear end cover, and then remove the low vacuum rotor, rotor and spring, etc.
- Remove the front cover and remove the high vacuum rotor, rotor and spring.
- Remove sight glass, exhaust valve, exhaust cover, etc.
- Clean the removed metal parts thoroughly with gasoline and dehydrate them with alcohol.Parts must be dried after cleaning.
- When assembling, first install the rear machine, put the spring and the rotary vane into the rotor, and then put it into the vacuum pump chamber.Install the front end cover, then install the locating pin and tighten the screw evenly and symmetrically.After assembly, ensure flexible and even rotation.After installing the front stage rotor and the rear end cover, install the exhaust valve (the exhaust valve piece should be close to the valve seat) and other parts, such as the gas ballast device.
How Long should you Maintain a Vacuum Pump?
Users can adjust the maintenance interval according to the usage, especially in dusty working environment.
- Daily maintenance needs：Check the vacuum pump oil level and the color of the vacuum pump oil.
- Weekly maintenance needs：Check the vacuum pump for oil leaks. Use the air gun to clean the dust and debris.
- Monthly maintenance needs：Check the function of the vacuum pump oil mist separator. If necessary, please replace it.
- Every six months maintenance needs：Check the vacuum pump chamber for dust, dirt, carbon deposits, if necessary, clean the vacuum pump chamber; clear the vacuum pump fan cover, wind impeller, ventilation grille, cooling fins.
- Every 500-2000 working hours maintenance needs：Please replace the oil mist separator and vacuum oil, and check the float valve and return pipe.
Why does a Vacuum Pump Need Oil?
Vacuum pump oil is a kind of lubricating oil specially developed for vacuum pumps on vacuum equipment, which is divided into mineral oil and synthetic oil. It is suitable for reciprocating booster pumps, mechanical booster pumps and oil-sealed mechanical vacuum pumps. It can also be used for various diffusion vacuum pumps. It is recommended for vacuum pumps in the fields of crafts, ceramics, chemistry, etc. The vacuum pump oil can not only provide lubrication for rotary vane pumps, but functions as a seal across the vanes and dual-seal between the low pressure and high pressure side of the pump.
Rotary Vane Vacuum Pump for University Lab
Circulating water vacuum pump