As a common lab equipment, a water bath is mainly used for distillation, drying, concentration, heating and soaking chemical medicines and biological products, and is also suitable for heating at constant temperature and other temperature tests. It can provide heat source for a great variety of devices that require heating. The temperature range of water bath is from room temperature to 99℃. The temperature control accuracy can be controlled within 1℃. It can be used alone or work with a rotary evaporator and a reactor.
Precautions for Using a Water Bath in the Rotovap
- Please raise the evaporation flask of the rotary evaporator to the highest point before the experiment.
- Place the water bath in the center place where the evaporation flask is lifted vertically.
- Lower the host of the rotary evaporator slowly.
- Lower the evaporation flask until it is nicely placed inside the water bath. Add water into the water bath according to the capacity of the evaporation flask. Don’t add too much water. When it is lack of water, add water slowly from the side instead of directly pouring water on the flask. (Don’t use any liquid other than tap water or distilled water.)
- Plug the power plug into the socket after making sure the power switches of both water bath and rotary evaporator are turned off.
- Lower the evaporation flask to the lowest point.
- When the water bath is used, it must be reliably grounded. The water can’t be splashed into the control box to avoid leakage and damage of the electrical parts.
What is the Principle of Water Bath?
The water temperature can be transfered to the resistance value by a sensor, which is further amplified and compared by integrated amplifier. Then the control signal can be output. It can effectively control the average heating power of electric heating tube and maintain water in constant temperature.
How to Clean a Water Bath?
Clean the water bath immediately after use and fill in the usage record in time. Firstly drain the water inside the water bath and remove the impurities in the bath with a hairbrush. Then clean the internal and external surfaces of the water bath with a soft cloth. There shouldn’t have any drop of water on the internal surface of the equipment, and the external surface of the equipment should be clean and bright without any stain.