Rotary evaporator is an efficient separation equipment that removes substances from sample materials by getting substances evaporated out of mixtures. In rotary evaporator equipment, heating mantle plays an essential role, which is to evaporate different substances by being set at different substances’ boiling points. Rotary evaporator is used to concentrate and separate substances in industrial field, chemical labs, food-making field, textile field and other fields. During the working process, the evaporation flask keeps rotating in a constant speed, in order to increase the evaporation speed by enlarging the evaporation area.
Process for rotary evaporator:
Firstly, with sample placed in evaporation flask, evaporation flask keeps rotating to facilitate evaporation by enlarging evaporation area.
Secondly, solvents evaporated from sample are transported into condenser and then condensed into liquid from air.
Thirdly, the liquid solvents flow into receiving flask for users to get.
What can you do to prevent bumping while Rotovapping
When we are using rotary evaporator, we sometimes have a question of sample materials bumping out of the evaporation flask. So what we can do to prevent bumping?
1. Don’t fill evaporation flask with materials more than half of evaporation flask full. During working process, sample materials will splash because they will be boiling. So if users fill evaporation flask with materials more than half of evaporation flask capacity, the sample materials will splash out of the evaporation flask.
2. Using a bigger spin speed maybe help to avoid bumping. With bigger spin speed, sample materials will spin faster and bump less.
3. Setting a more moderate temperature for the bath maybe help a lot. The reason of bumping is that materials boil strongly. Therefore, a more moderate does help to avoid bumping.
Tips for rotary evaporator:
- In the beginning, remove gas from the sealed equipment to get a partial vacuum before rotate the evaporation flask to prevent evaporation flask falling down.
- In the end, stop the rotation before stop vacuum pump to prevent evaporation flask falling down or suck-back.
- Make sure there is water or oil when thermostatic water or oil bath is working.
- Receiving flask: a device used to collect solvents.
- Condenser: a device used to condense gaseous solvents matching with chiller.
- Motor: a device powered by electricity used to supply motive power for the whole rotary evaporator equipment.
- Evaporation flask: a device used to contain sample and keep rotating to facilitate evaporation by enlarging evaporation area.
- Thermostatic water or oil bath: a device used to heat evaporation flask.
- Thermostat control: a device used to control the temperature of thermostatic water or oil bath
- Vacuum pump: a device that removes gas from sealed equipment to leave behind a partial vacuum.
- Chiller: a device used to cool equipment .