The rotary evaporator is an ideal instrument for laboratory distillation extraction, material crystallization and solvent separation.
The basic working process can be described below. The rotating flask is heated thermostatically and can rotate at a constant speed. Then the material forms a large area of thin film on the inner surface of the flask. The solvent vapor is recycled in the collecting bottle after being cooled by high-efficiency glass condenser. The gear motor is one of the main parts of a rotary evaporator, which is a essential tool to control the rotation speed of the evaporation flask. If there is a fault in the operation of the reduction motor, it will affect the efficiency of the rotary evaporator. There are several possible reasons for the failure of a rotary evaporator gear motor.
The reasons for the rotary evaporator gear motor malfunction are as follows:
- Rotary evaporator gear motors have been subjected to excessive load for a long period of time, causing temperature to rise too high, damaging the insulation, and shortening the service life of the gear motor.
- Rotating speed matching principle refers to the gear motor and the manufacturing machine are running in the setting speed in the same transmission mode.
- Keep the components of the gear motor clean, ensure that the assembly of the end cover, bearings, etc. are reasonable, and do not perform brutal construction to prevent the corresponding components from being deformed by the force-decelerating motor.
- Bearing damage is a common fault in the operation of gear motors. Replace the bearing again. If the motor end cover is nested, the interference is large or the ellipticity exceeds the standard, causing the bearing ball clearance to be too small or uneven, resulting in an increase in the friction force when the bearing is running, and the temperature rises sharply or even burns the instrument.
- The bearing chamber is not clean or the grease added is not clean.For example, the tiny rigid material in the bearing cage is not completely cleaned, or the bearing raceway is damaged during operation, causing the temperature rise to be too high and burn the bearing.
- The operating temperature of the gear motor of the rotary evaporator is too high, and the bearing is not filled with grease in time to cause the bearing to be short of oil or even burned.
- The bearing itself has manufacturing quality problem such as Inflexibility of rotation, groove rusty spot,excessive clearance, holder deform, etc.
- When the running condition of the bearing is not good, the vibration and noise of the geared motor will increase significantly. When checking the radial clearance of the bearing, please replace the bearing. The rotary evaporator does not operate for a long period of time, causing the grease to deteriorate, while the bearing is rusted but not repaired.
- When the rotary evaporator motor has vibration, it should be distinguished whether it is caused by the gear motor itself or the transmission is bad, or it is transmitted by the mechanical load end, and then it is excluded according to the specific situation.
The above all are possible reasons for the failure of a rotary evaporator gear motor. We sincerely hope this article useful for you!
What is the purpose of the rotary evaporator?
A rotary evaporator (or rotavap/rotovap) is a equipment that is used in chemical laboratories for the efficient and gentle removal of solvents from sample materials by evaporation. Besides, people can also use a rotary evaporator to separate or concentrate substances or materials.
Can rotary evaporator remove water?
The rotary evaporator is suitable for reflux operation, rapid evaporation of large amounts of solvent, concentration of trace components, and reaction processes that require stirring. Therefore, a rotary evaporator can absolutely evaporate water. Rotary evaporator makes the solvent form a thin film and increase the evaporation area. In addition, under the action of a high-efficiency cooler, the hot steam can be quickly liquefied to speed up the evaporation rate.