The craft beer is a type of fine brewing beer, varying from regular beer or industry beer. Simply speaking, it prefers utilizing more and better ingredients to brew high quality and high concentration beer. Crucially, each craft brewery can add various flavorings such as chocolate, coffee, fruit and even wood. It can be seen that craft beer is highly creative with a great variety of flavors. The taste is generally intense with malt flavors, and the intensity and colors can be regulated according to needs.
What is Craft Beer?
The Brewers Association(BA) in the US claims that craft beer breweries are small, independent and traditional. The “small” refers to annual production of six million barrels of beer or less. The “independent” means that less than 25 percent of the craft brewery is owned or controlled (or equivalent economic interest) by an alcohol industry member that is not itself a craft brewer. And “traditional” means a brewer that has a majority of its total beverage alcohol volume in beers whose flavor derives from traditional or innovative brewing ingredients and their fermentation. Therefore, craft beer can be defined as “a beer made in a traditional or non-mechanized way by a small brewery”.
What are Characteristics of Craft Beer?
The features of craft beer can be simply concluded as follows:
1. High quality ingredients. The craft beer in hotel and at home generally adopt high quality barley malt imported all over the world. Without adding any other ingredients, a great variety of special malts and all kinds of fresh hops from European land, American land and other lands are used in the brewing process in strict accordance with the German Beer Purity Law.
2. Opulent nutrition. Craft beer is rich in protein, various vitamins, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and other metal and non-metal ions, which are essential for human health. Furthermore, with a high degree of fermentation and low residual sugar, people don’t have to worry about getting fat after drinking it for a long time.
3. Fresh taste. The brewing process of craft beer is carried out in a sterile system that is totally enclosed, not requiring the pasteurization process used in the production of industrial beer. In this way, the vitamin and other thermal sensitive substances in beer can’t be destroyed, and the rich nutrition and fresh taste can be maintained to the maximum extent.
4. High content of carbon dioxide. Due to the beer is directly transfered from the tank and the beer temperature is low, it rarely goes through complex processes such as filtration, sterilization and transportation, and less carbon dioxide can escape. It can maintain the content of carbon dioxide for a longer time, contributing to a good taste.
5. Appealing appearance. The craft beer colors are opulent, and foams are rich, white and fine. Craft beer can be regarded as one of the best wine.
Craft beer is favored by more and more consumers because of its high quality, various flavors and essential role in culinary culture. Looking ahead, the market of craft beer is still growing, and new breweries continue to open across the world. Maybe it is a great chance to start your own craft beer brewery business.